[pianotech] Plate finishing

lsclhofer at juno.com lsclhofer at juno.com
Wed Mar 31 23:31:10 MDT 2010

Marcel,
 I use water based finishes from Target Coatings to spray plates but can be a bit tricky. The powders have to be mixed into the sanding sealer, then after spraying the gold powder-sanding sealer mix I spray a few coats of sanding sealer clear with out the powder to seal the gold color coat. After it dries it can be top coated with the clear water based lacquer. If you try to mix the powders into the top coat it will turn a weird shade of green and will not flow out or dry the way it should.  I don't know why this happens but someone who knows  the chemistry behind all this might be able to explain why.

Larry Hofer
Hofer Piano Works
Corona Ca