[pianotech] Damppchaser

Roger Wheelock roger at dampp-chaser.com
Mon May 3 09:14:33 MDT 2010

Hi Carl,

(I tried sending this earlier today, but the message didn't seem to make it to the list.  Here's another shot at it.)

I hope this finds you doing well up in Winnipeg.

We are certainly concerned about a possible series of defects you have experienced.  Generally speaking, our electro-mechanical sensor has a switching mechanism that only allows AC to be supplied to either the humidifier outlet or the dehumidifier outlet at any given time.  Perhaps because the climate has been dry, you are always seeing the sensor in the humidification mode.  Regarding the customer who found the dehumidifier on all the time, Roger Jolly and I published an article in the July 2008 PTG Journal titled The Performance of Dampp-Chaser Systems under Extremely Dry Conditions.  One of the points here was that in environments where relative humidity stays below 20% for a significant amount of time a single humidifier system in a grand piano may not supply enough moisture to turn the cycle on the humidistat.  One would observe the humidifier running all the time.  Here we recommend a dual humidifier system or the addition of a string cover and undercover to a single humidifier system.

If neither of these ideas make sense for your situation please contact me or my tech support staff.  Randy Kaufman is our senior electronics technician, randy at dampp-chaser.com and Kelly Hollifield is our senior technical support person, kelly at dampp-chaser.com.  We would all like to see you have a trouble free experience with our product.

Best regards,

Roger

Roger Wheelock, VP
Dampp-Chaser Corp.