[pianotech] marketing

Noah Frere noahfrere at gmail.com
Tue May 18 14:34:56 MDT 2010

I just attended a BNI guest meeting and was impressed. I will re-attend this
Friday to make sure I understand ALL of the requirements before deciding to
apply or not. There may be other groups like BNI as well. For example, in
Knoxville, TN there is TNT which stands for Tennessee Networking
..something.. and may be cheaper.

The idea of 1-only member of each profession is brilliant, and I imagine
there is little competition for piano tuning spots. Apparently, at least in
the chapter I attended, you can only miss a limited number of weekly
meetings or you are booted, and forced to reapply. That is possibly a
deal-breaker, as i like to vacation.

There are also other networking events. In NYC I never needed, nor even
considered, networking much. Just knowing piano stores and other techs and
being active in the Guild and having a sufficient website and spot on Google
Maps was enough. In Knoxville, TN however, I see things are very different.
I was very spoiled in New York! So I constantly keep my eyes open for
opportunities.

For example, there was an ad in the newspaper for a "Clicks and Coffee"
breakfast last week, which the newspaper put on and gave a seminar on search
engine optimization for your website, which was helpful. I happened to win
the big raffle drawing, which, hard to believe but true, is a half-page full
color ad in the newspaper for 1 day. So sometimes big results can come from
a seemingly trivial affair. I will let ya'll know how the results do from
the ad. (However, we may break it up into a smaller ad and run it multiple
days, since a half-page may be overkill - or maybe not - maybe that half
page will generate 1000 calls! If any one has suggestions on this feel free
to chime on.)