[pianotech] FW: Creaky damper lift tray

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Wed May 19 08:10:10 MDT 2010

I find that most of these creaks (If it sounds like a metallic almost click) come from the hanger flanges bushings. To test this, just try to move the whole tray from left to right and if you hear the creak, this is the problem. If you can reach far enough, you can apply protek or prolube to the offending flanges' bushings and the noise will cease. You can try this method before removing the whole tray. I've had good success with this method and the noise hasn't come back (3 years now).

Marcel

> To: pianotech at ptg.org
> From: barbara at pitchperfectpianos.com
> Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 12:41:05 +0000
> Subject: Re: [pianotech] Creaky damper lift tray
>
> Thanks, list for all your advice. The piano I'm working on is about a 25 year old Bergmann/Young Chang. In fact, I have 2 of them with this exact problem.
>
> I have narrowed the noise down to the point of contact when the tray touches the underlevers. With the pedal trapwork, pitman, etc out of the way and the underlevers suspended by the sostenuto, I raised and lowered the tray by hand, finding that it did not creak until I raised it up to just touch the bottoms of the underlevers.
>
> Yes, I was briefly dreading having to remove all the dampers and underlevers to get to those hidden screws that hold the tray in that you can't really reach or see.  But, when I coated the damper tray felt with teflon, much of the noise was reduced, but not silent. I'm thinking I may have to replace the felt entirely, as it looks worn and fuzzy anyway.
>
> I'm kind of curious, or at least have my suspicions, about if that black stuff that flakes off the music desk has anything to do with this. That stuff gets everywhere and there is no good way about cleaning it up and getting rid of it as long as the piano owners don't take the initiative of replacing it.   Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. :-)
>
> Well, it looks like another beautiful day to go and knock out a few pianos, so I'm going to go find some willing culprits and see if they'll even pay me! Hope ya'll have a good day!
>

> Barbara Nobbe, RPT
> Pitch Perfect
> 859-489-4793
> barbara at pitchperfectpianos.com

10 000 $ de magasinage avec Hotmail. Inscrivez-vous!