[pianotech] Falcone GF-87 grand piano "Made in China"

Barb Nobbe barbara at pitchperfectpianos.com
Fri May 21 08:47:07 MDT 2010

Al,

I have a lot of experience with the Falcone made by Sejung.  Whether they look well made or not, I can tell you that I really am not impressed and dread having to work on them.  The store I tune for sells a lot of them and I usually spend several hours trying to fix all their issues. And unfortunately, the problems I've seen with them are inconsistent from piano to piano.  But here are the main things I check:

Make sure the bass bi-chord dampers sit so there is no/little overtone bleed.  Also, check for tightness in the damper guide rail bushings.

Sometimes the keys feel tight and the action is heavy, so I ream the balance rail holes and check key easing.

Jack centers are prone to cease up when you least expect them, so check to make sure they are loose and protek. Repin as necessary.

You can regulate to your hearts content (or frustration), but if you try to get it within certain specs, you'll find that sometimes you won't get good drop or aftertouch no matter what you do. I've walked away from many a customer Falcone that I just couldn't get adequate drop, but it played and so it was all I could do.  I'm not surprised to hear about the 1/2" let off..I'm sure I've been there before.

I feel like the pianos have an unclear, muddy tone with no life. If you can do anything with voicing the hammers, good luck.

The Falcones I tune are unstable at first. Normally, when they come straight from the box, they are 60-80-100c flat. Sometimes, I can go back a week later and notice the unisons are out and it's already starting to drift off pitch.  After they've been delivered to a customer home from the store, I will have to go back and still do a 15-20 pitch raise again before tuning.  I'm hoping as they get more tunings on them, they will start to hold better. Only time will tell.

I think those are the main points.  I've ran into other odds/ends issues like the leg bolts being too long and digging into the action frame, the fallboard being misplaced on the cabinet and hitting the backs of the sharps, etc. But hopefully, you won't have the more obvious and peculiar things like that.

Good luck. I'm going to work on a nice, consistent Yamaha now. :-)

Barbara Nobbe, RPT
Pitch Perfect
859-489-4793
barbara at pitchperfectpianos.com