[pianotech] Bridle Tape ENDS

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed May 26 12:12:35 MDT 2010

At 15:12 +0100 26/5/10, david at piano.plus.com wrote:

>Tape Ends are still available from Jahn in Germany, but it's quite
>expeinsive by the time you pay postage (nice company to deal with tho!).

Was expeinsive just a Freudian slip? Similar to a bridal strap? Under
the same garment?  And where, Sir, is the apostrophe after your
tho(!!)?.  And you can save the fare coming down here to knock my
teeth out -- my dentist saw to that a while ago.

I still have leather tape ends from the days when you could buy them
by the thousand for very little money and since I can find no
ready-made tapes (including Renner's) that use the proper braid, I
bought a lifetime's worth from the firm who used to make it for
Herrburger Brooks and make my own tapes, but not fast enough to make
it commercially interesting; that's a project that keeps being
knocked off the top of my list of priorities.

Here in England most people call them tie tapes, or just tapes, but
the wire I have always called the bridle wire, though Herbert Shead
says this is alternatively known as the 'tie wire' or 'tape wire'.  I
think 'tie wire' is good and will immediately reform my usage.

JD