[pianotech] Brass rail

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed May 26 13:14:36 MDT 2010

The first upright action that I rebuilt got all new parts. It was a
Mason & Hamlin with brass rails. I followed Bill Spurlock's excellent
instructions for the conversion to wooden butt flanges with complete
success. It's not that difficult and I highly recommend that approach.

Below are a couple photos of the job. The first one shows the original
rail after being routed out to size, holes plugged, new holes drilled
and a small piece added to the top for additional support of the butt
flange and to serve as a stop for the damper flanges. The second photo
is a shows the cross section of the modified rail.