[pianotech] Unknown hammers

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Oct 1 15:19:43 MDT 2010

Yes way, dude! I've seen plenty of pianos with hammers worn to the nub
- well, NOT as worn as the ones in Zeno's picture, but REALLY worn
deep. After the grooves get so deep, the thin sides of the grooves
tend to break off eventually - especially if there is a little play in
the action center. IMHO, it is quite possible those hammers have never
been filed, and easily never filed flat.

Terry Farrell