[pianotech] Of Chisels

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun Oct 10 06:32:07 MDT 2010

It is generally a good idea on most chisels to follow the established bevel
that arrives with the chisel (although some sharpeners will put on a
microbevel at the very last stages of sharpening).  Also, Japanese chisels
are not meant to be used as pry bars to remove wood.  That is another way to
chip them.  Use a wooden mallet or chisel hammer to cut instead of pry, or
pare where possible.  In those circumstances where I must pry, I get out my
(well sharpened) cheap Stanley chisels.

In this thread, good people have presented a variety of ways to establish a
sharp edge that will cut to their satisfaction.  Each of us has our
preferred method, but none is wrong per se.  All require skill, practice,
and knowledge to do well consistently.  So our novice readers still must
expect to make a commitment to learning the method, and invest the time
required to learn it well.

Good tools are always good tools, no matter what they are for.  If I buy a
really good set of chisels, that means that in order to get the highest
level of performance and my best craftsmanship out of them (Remember, that's
why you bought them, to make YOU better at the tasks), you now require a set
of good stones to maximize their performance and keep them there).  Those
good chisels and those good stones cost good money.  There's no way around
that.  You get what you pay for.  And I have a corner in my shop where I
toss the cheapo  tools that I bought in a momentary lapse of stupidity.
Then I spend money a second time to go out and buy the tool I should have
bought the first time.

 And which is why I have stopped buying tools at the Loews and Home Depots
of the world.  They sell you the cheapest made Chinese garbage masquerading
as established brand names.  They've cut a back room deal with very low
money for high volume with the big boys.  There's no margin for the
toolmakers unless they can find the cheapest factory in China to make it,
and the quality goes into the toilet.  You buy it thinking it's that quality
Makita or (insert favored brand name you know well).  I've used too many of
these tools for 10 minutes and then thrown them against the wall in disgust
after having them muck up my task.

I have no prejudice against the Chinese, but it certainly makes it a buyer
beware market.  There's everything from garbage to gold and what's in
between.  What makes it worse is that the Home Depots come into a town and
drive the good little hardware stores that take care of us out of business,
leaving us no option but to buy their crap when we need that tool today.

We need to learn that when Price Is Everything, there is no room for
quality.  That's how the consumer shoots himself in the foot.

Sorry for the OT rant, for anyone who wants to cast rotten cabbages at me.

Will Truitt