[pianotech] rates for new techician

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sun Oct 10 15:28:38 MDT 2010

I never did any free tunings, but charged substantially less than a couple
years later early in my career...probably too much discounting.  As soon
as my rates went up quite a bit, my first customers never called again, as
they new they were getting a great deal, and most were pitch raises; some
were dramatic ones!  Don't undercharge your talents, but make sure your
tuning skills are really polished up.  Perhaps charge 70-80% of the going
rate, and then increase your prices every 50 tunings or so until your up
with your collegues in the area. My mentor, Steve Brady had me tune and
log in 100 practice rooms at Univ. of WA before suggesting I go out and
get customers.  It was tough, but I'm glad I did it...looking back.

Make connections with local piano dealers and get some floor tunings in.
You'll start getting some of their in-home free tuning on new pianos and
will gain customers from this.  Do expect that the stores will want to pay
you much less than out in the field, but it's good experience, and the new
client referrals are worth something, too.

Paul