[pianotech] key leveling with a curve

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Oct 13 11:23:17 MDT 2010

At 07:50 -0700 13/10/2010, Gene Nelson wrote:

>...Mabye I am not getting the big picture and that is typical for me.
>But - if the string height becomes lower toward the treble, it seems
>that if the hammer line remains level there will be an issue with
>key dip - it will deminish as the blow distance deminishes.

One very big IF there.  As I have mentioned  in previous threads on
the subject of hammer boring, the hammers should be bored so that
when they are at rest the shanks are in a straight line parallel with
the key bottom and the heads are all at the same distance (the
'blow') from the strike point on the respective unisons.  The slope,
if any, of the string from bridge to bridge towards the high treble
needs also to taken into account to ensure that the hammer strikes
the string at 90°.

The blow, therefore, does _not_ diminish as you suggest if the
hammers are properly bored, and I have never heard of any Steinway
handbook that suggests that the blow should be anything but equal
throughout the scale.

I have just bored a set of hammers for a colleague who is replacing
the heads on a very old Hamburg B.  Going by his carefully checked
measurements, the bore at note 21 needed to be 46.6mm, at note 52
49.3mm nad at note 88 40.6mm, this last measurement is 3.4mm shorter
than it would have been (ie. 44mm) if the strings were horizontal,
but he reported an increasing slope to 1.5° from note 69 to note 88.

This is why it is impossible to get anything right with a set of
"standard bore" hammers and why those of us who, besides wanting to
do the job properly, prefer an easy life, order hammers unbored and
to our specifications.  Standard bore should be renamed Botcher Bore.

>The question is do you regulate that way or do you try to keep dip
>constant? If you keep it constant would it not be reasonable to have
>a key level that was higher in the center than the ends?

It follows from what I have written above that I keep the touch depth
equal, the blow equal, the rest cushions of equal thickness, the
shanks at rest an equal height above the rest cushions etc.

To return to the question of the arched key-bottom: the last two
Steinways I did, both from Hamburg in the 1970s, did have the key
bottom arched almost exactly 1mm in the middle, whether by chance or
design is no matter.  In both cases, and in other cases, I level the
keys so that the key tops are all the same height above the key
bottom.  This means, as I mentioned in my previous message, that
every key will have an similar thickness of punchings at the key bed
under the baize.  If technician X likes to praise me for arching the
keys, well and good, provided he knows why I did it, and ditto for
the hawk-eyed diva with an eye for a curve.

JD