[pianotech] was curve now glide

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Fri Oct 15 06:01:03 MDT 2010

    In a message dated 10/14/2010 11:28:07 A.M. Central Daylight Time, erwinspiano at aol.com writes:
      I personally favor setting the bolts with the keys off and stack screwed (as per Yamahas method ) on to un -load the frame.  Then when the keys go on there is a certain sure bedding and the weight of the keys insures that a bit.
       Dale
      Dale,
         I also bed with the stack on and keys out as I find it easier to both access the glides and to thump on the rails . I've always assumed that a bedded  frame without the stack can wrack after it is installed.
           On another related topic  I've recently had some problems with too ridgid front rails on new Chinese pianos  . One of the support techs had me cut some relief kerfs  to "relax" the rail and help establish solid contact with the bed and  this was not entirely successful.
           So my question to my list friends is concerning the alternative designs I'm sure many  have seen on some older American grands .
           The Sohmer had two (or three?)  slots in the front of the frame with coiled spring type washer  and a round head screw holding down the frame .I regulated one recently and with lubrication the frame  shifted smootly and quietly and was rock solid to the bed.
           The other system has glides in the front of the keybed that are adjusted up to meet the rail and also seemed to work well
      I'm interested in your collective experience here especially concerning  the Sohmer design as I've been tempted to work up a retro fit when the traditional  method fails. The problem seems more of an issue on frames that don't have the raised lip (nomenclature?) at the front and the whole surface of the rail needs to be sanded .
          Thoughts?

      Tom D.