[pianotech] Action locking

Joseph Alkana josephspiano at comcast.net
Mon Oct 18 18:32:27 MDT 2010

What bothers me first of all is that the moving company wants you to
disassemble the piano for them. That means they don't have a clue how to
transport a piano and these bozos have no clue as to how to properly take it
down and set it up, nor do they even have the necessary dollies, skid,
straps, etc. Watch: These idiots will attempt to move the case with the lid
resting on the long side without proper relief off the skid - if they even
had one. That, or they will tip it on the side and ruin the lid/hinges right
off the bat. What do they expect after you 'disassemble' it. Stand there and
look at the now pile of pieces laying there? If you've ever watched a
competent mover you know that disassembly melds right into loading for
transport as a continuous operation.

The piano can be transported safely a short distance without locking down
the action. The tips you already received could help with a long distance
move. In either instance, qualified movers are required. Period. Be
professional and do not involve yourself in abetting non-qualified personnel
to attempt this move for the customer. You could wind up liable for damages
due to your poor handling of the situation.

I am assuming this is a residential situation?  If so, run, don't walk, away
from this situation if the customer won't get professional piano movers
involved. Seen this too many times to advocate utilizing the services of
non-piano movers. You do not want to compound the grief this customer could
be in for by not using good professional help. Chances are this customer
hasn't had competent piano service or else they would have called for advice
from their own technician. I'm betting this is a long neglected instrument.

If they elect to get professional help, then you could perform a service
(read, collect a nice fee!) by doing the lock down as previously mentioned,
and make sure the pedals are adjusted properly prior to disassembly. A
properly adjusted damper pedal will often keep the pitman from jamming when
the lyre is reattached. Also, most trap lever arms have a safety "L" bracket
to keep the arm from dropping completely when the lyre is taken off the
piano. Having the necessary ones in place will also facilitate re-assembly
at destination. You can also do an evaluation for insurance purposes for the
customer, check for loose screws, missing hinge pins, check that the lyre is
functioning properly in the first place and repair if necessary.$$

Of course, recommending a nice humidity control system be obtained prior to
tuning by a Registered Technician of PTG that you recommend would be a nice
touch, too.

Now, if you've just been contacted by a moving company to come to a store,
or warehouse or somewhere not a retail/ residential situation, then tell
these people to learn their trade properly or sub the work out to real piano
movers and don't get involved.

Good luck!

Joseph Alkana  RPT (Retired)

  _____