[pianotech] billing dilemma with pitch raises

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sun Oct 31 13:31:05 MDT 2010

Nice points, Joe,

I'm exhausted after 2 or three major pitch raise / tuning in one day.  I
actually hate those kind of days, and the third one of the day doesn't get
the best tuning I can give! Even here at UNL when the weather changes,
find some pianos horribly wild and will struggle with them for 2 or 3
hours, sometimes.....So,,,I go to the shop an rebush some keys or file
some hammers....always needed and never ends!

I, like Mr Manino, charge a certain rate for outside UNL tunings and an
additional charge for pitch raising.  My tuning rate is constant, (much
higher than the local techs...for a reason) but the pitch adjustment
charges will vary, not by time, but by how far out they are....sharp or
flat (being wildly both ways in the midwest). Some pianos react well to
pitch adjustments, and some don't. There is no "time" it will take.  Like
painting a portrait...it's finished when I say it's finished>  That's
where our "art" of the science comes into play.  No by-the-hour tuning can
make any sense at all.

Of course, some wealthy folks will still ask for me ( I guess it's the
position here...) so I give them my higher than normal rate; they like it;
and off I go.  Richard West is really TRYING to retire BTW! :>) I guess
they are thinking I'm supposed to be the best in Nebraska, but I'm sure
Richard still has an edge.  Not very many RPT's in this state, so those
waaay out west can talk to Mick Johnson,  a great RPT!!  What do folks do
out in the boonies that are rich with a nice piano????  Who knows!!!???

I will also advise them before I start when nasty flat or sharp, that my
first visit will require a follow up tuning (or 2 or 3) in the coming
month or so, if they want the piano to get to a stable point.  If they are
not interested in that, I'll charge a nominal visit fee and be on my way.
I'm waaay too busy at UNL to deal with this kind of customer.

Actually, I've just been passing 95%+ of outside calls off to local tuners
when I find that the piano hasn't been tuned for 5 years or longer...I
just don't have the time. Not to be snobby, but as Steve Brady advised me
when I started learning about his outside UW work, only work on nice
grands.  OK OK....I'm turning into a snob too, but why work all week at
school on really great pianos and then go to an 80 year old upright that
hasn't been tuned in 10 years?.  Not my cup of tea, and there are some
eager techs here in Lincoln,

Best: My ears are tired just thinking of this post!!!

Paul