[pianotech] billing dilemma with pitch raises

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sun Oct 31 13:46:13 MDT 2010

 Paul writes:

>>  Evenhere at UNL when the weather changes, find some pianos horribly wild andwill struggle with them for 2 or 3 hours, sometimes...

           I am astounded that it would take 3 hours to tune a piano.  It only takes 15 minutes to get a piano to pitch, and then perhaps another 90 minutes to fine tune.  Exactly what takes 3 hours? And, if a piano is 30 cents flat or sharp(!), there is no point in trying to end up with a super-fine tuning, since the wood will move around in the next 48 hours, and that tuning will not be there afterwards. (see below)

>>My tuning rate is constant, (much higher than the local techs...fora reason) but the pitch adjustment charges will vary, not by time, butby how far out they are....sharp or flat (being wildly both ways in themidwest).
Of course, some wealthy folks will stillask for me ( I guess it's the position here...) so I give them my higherthan normal rate; they like it; and off I go. <<

      This doesn't compute.  If you charge by how wealthy the customer is, your rate is NOT constant, it is opportunistic,   and it will only be a matter of time before some customers find out that they are being charged more because they have more.  This will not be a happy day for anyone.

>>I will also advise them before I startwhen nasty flat or sharp, that my first visit will require a follow uptuning (or 2 or 3) in the coming month or so, if they want the piano toget to a stable point.

   That is the point; a horribly out of tune piano will need another tuning, later.  Is it in the customers best interest to be charged for 3 hours of work when it will have to be redone in a couple of weeks?
Wondering,
Ed Foote RPT