[pianotech] [Pianotek] the big discussion

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Tue Feb 1 06:56:10 MST 2011

It seems to me that the "point" of the RPT tuning exam is (at least one
point) is allowing candidates to demonstrate that they have a certain level
of control over where they place *anthing* on the piano.  It may not
represent where any one of us might prefer to tune the entire piano when all
is said and done.  It does however, set forth an objective criteria, and
asks each candidate to demonstrate how accurately they can produce the
result that is being asked for.  Can you tune a 4:2 octave, etc.?  Can you
control your tunings enough to get clean single octaves in the high treble.
 The test asks each of us to be able to demonstrate particular skills sets
that are necessary for the tuning process.

I don't understand why the standards are considered meaningless by any.  It
seems very reasonable to me, very objective, to be asked to demonstrate that
you indeed have a level of control that allows you to execute to achieve a
particular standard, to achieve a particular result, for testing purposes.
 When it comes down to it, that's all we can really judge anyway.  When we
start talking of degrees of stretch for octaves, width of fifths and
fourths, how to handle the breaks so they sound best, subjectivity is the
rule, and would be, I think, unquantifiable.

William R. Monroe