[pianotech] the big discussion

Bill Fritz pianofritz50 at aol.com
Tue Feb 1 07:24:33 MST 2011

Susan, in your reply to David, you mentioned your experience of a few ETD tunings.

I too have experienced several similar experiences... except in reverse.  In watching an aural tuning...  after the temperament was set, they tuned the single string octaves (once), and then quickly tuned unisons.  A few quick chords, and we were on our way.

There were no octave checks (after unisons were tuned), no other checks, etc.  No check to see if any middle strings changed pitch before tuning the unisons, etc.  The aural tuning was quick, like they too wanted to avoid contact w/ the instrument.

I think it's all about what kind of tuning we want to deliver to the customer... regardless of Aural or ETD usage.

COMMENT/REPLY:
Why would you presume that *any* etd users would lose their sense of the voice of the piano.

I watched a tuning. It went from note 1 straight to note 88 as single notes with muting strips in, and then the unisons were tuned fairly quickly. There were no intervals, there was no time to savor the sound. There were no checks of octaves to hear stretch. Afterwards, the piano did sound in tune, and not unmusical. But the tuning itself seemed an exercise in avoiding contact with the instrument. If these ETD users retain their sense of the voice of the piano, when are they doing it? This was just one tuning, and I've only seen little fragments of other ETD tuning. Perhaps it was not typical?