[pianotech] What do you say?

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Tue Feb 1 07:54:20 MST 2011

We should all be collecting email addresses, I hope you all are. Redesign
your database form if you have to, to include an email address field. Make
sure you ask for it when filling it in for a new customer. Ask for it when
you have an existing customer on the phone and the form is up in front of
you. And while you're at it, get their cell phone numbers. It is hard to get
in the habit of collecting these. I still forget and I've been getting them
for almost 20 years now.

Email is a great way to communicate with your customers, it's free and it
doesn't interrupt your customer's life like a phone call. They can read it
and respond at their leisure. Using a mail merge program it is super easy to
send monthly reminders. My active customers get a reminder every three
months, inactive ones get one once a year.

Get with the 90s, err, 21st century. Electronic messaging is increasingly
the preferred method of communication. I not only email, but I also
sometimes use texting with the cell numbers I collect. For example, I'll
text if there is a schedule problem and I'm having trouble reaching them by
phone, or to let them know when I'm 15 minutes away. But you've got to have
the cell phone number first to be able to do this.

Dean

Ask them for an email address. You may be able to write an email that will
automatically send the day before. If your email program won't do that, then
write out the email, save it to drafts, set a reminder on your calendar,
then send it from the drafts. Sending an email is easy.

Dean

That's a great idea, that will be easier to do. Most people read their
e-mail at least once a day, even when they are on the mainland.

Thanks, Dean

Wim