[pianotech] Steinway technical and reference guide

The Davis Family (Mark, Janine, William, Stephen & Matthew) pianofortetechnology at saol.com
Tue Feb 1 09:45:45 MST 2011

Dear List

I am a South African and have worked on pianos for 17 years.  I emailed S&S
and requested if I could purchase their technical and reference guide.  They
re-directed me to their South African branch/agent as are all enquiries
emanating from Africa.  The agent in South Africa said, "that the material
requested is made available to technicians who have received factory
training, to assist them to maintain Steinway & Sons instruments according
to factory practices in the field."  He went on to basically say, NO, we
deny your request.  This is my second request to them, my first being early
last year.

I just don't see why S&S would deny me the purchase of their guide?  I
understand that it is their prerogative.  How do they promote themselves or
endear themselves to technicians who are interested in learning about
Steinway pianos?  I have learnt a lot about piano technology through the PTG
by purchasing many books from them, the Journal CD's and the whole PACE
series and have bought the Yamaha 37 steps of grand regulation too from
Yamaha.  I tune +- 5 pianos a day 5 days a week.  I come across Steinway
grands and uprights on a fairly regular basis.  I regulate grands and
uprights and do in house repairs too.  I know that there are many
technicians out there that are way beyond me but I am encouraged by some of
them who write on this forum by reading their posts to persevere and to
continue my learning and working on pianos.

Why would S&S have such a short sighted policy?  What are your thoughts?  Is
it not at all possible to obtain the S&S technical and reference guide?

Mark