[pianotech] Carbon Fiber Lever (was Hammer Technique: was Q & ARoundtable)

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 17:10:24 MST 2011

    I bought the one I bought because of limited funds, because
another tech on this list recommended it, and figured that the
$400 carbon fiber levers were $400 not because one type of
carbon fiber was stiffer than another type of carbon fiber, but
because of the use of exotic woods, fancy shapes, and
non-standard-shaped custom-machined heads, one of which receives
complaints about not being able to see the tuning pins when
placing the lever.
    The websites and ads for these levers give very little data
from any actual tests of flex or leverage, and I don't see any
cross-sectional diagrams, comparisons of competing types,
specific info. about the molecular structure of different types
of carbon fiber (if there are different types), etc.
    The stiffer lever doesn't speed up tuning any.  It gives a
more positive sense of what the pin is doing, so it's a tiny bit
easier to have a feeling that the pin is set, but that's about
it.
    By the way, the cost of the $400 ones is not paid for with 4
tunings unless your tunings are 100% profit.  Mine are not.
    --David Nereson, RPT