[pianotech] [Pianotek] the big discussion

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Feb 1 20:38:32 MST 2011

On 2/1/2011 7:06 PM, John Ross wrote:
> What I should have done was forget the number of beats, and just
> narrowed the 5ths a smidgeon, and widened the 4ths a smidgeon as well.

I'm a firm advocate of the "smidgeon" school of fourths and fifths. As
you do them with the smidgeons (and the fourth smidgeon is a little
bigger than the fifth smidgeon) day after day, checking for uniformly
narrow fifths and uniformly wide fourths, nobody wretched, nobody
sweet/perfect either, the fourths just slightly unhappier than the
fifths, the smidgeons will center on being exactly what they should be
to add up to your carefully chosen octave size.

F to F temperament, check contiguous thirds for even progression. (F - A
- C# - F) Get your other notes done, filling in between the contiguous
thirds, by going through whatever your chosen pattern is.

Run major thirds. Run perfect fourths, very carefully. Run perfect
fifths. And then run the few major sixths. You will have an awfully good
idea how everything is going and where the trouble spots might be. Nudge
nudge, tweak tweak. If an interval is wide (or narrow) you can fix it by
moving either or both ends. Check the two end notes for how the other
notes feel about them, and move the one which the other notes also want
moved.

It takes some practice, but it isn't rocket science.

Susan