[pianotech] Lacquer hammers or stiffen shanks?

johnparham at piano88.com johnparham at piano88.com
Tue Feb 1 21:12:37 MST 2011

"How likely is it that ALL the hammers of a set (Steinway) would need
juicing?  I did do the middle section the first time because it  seemed
a little weak, but left it out of the second application because I
didn’t want to overdo it."

Paul,
I saved some of these posts on juicing because something just didn't
seem right in the discussion. Now I know what it was: unexplored
options.  From that perspective, I'd like to introduce a different idea.

I recently attended the WNG class on top action and back action
replacement.  Bruce Clark gave the presentation.  During the class, he
made the comment that wooden hammer shanks are not consistent in the
amount they flex, saying that they vary "wildly."  Composite shanks, on
the other hand, are very consistent in the amount they flex.  Without
citing data to back it up, he suggested that a weaker sound may be
attributable to a shank that is too flexible instead of being a hammer
issue.  Does that mean that a stiffer shank, such as a composite shank,
would produce the sound we are chasing using lacquering techniques?  I
don't know, but it may be worth considering.

I don't have plans to test this idea, but I thought I'd throw it on the
table as food for thought.  Since the composite revolution seems to be
the next big thing, it's probably worth exploring as we continue to
explore the limits of our more traditional fixes to recurring issues.

-John Parham