[pianotech] Lacquer hammers or stiffen shanks?

Dave Swartz swartzy at charter.net
Tue Feb 1 22:08:41 MST 2011

Not wanting to divert Paul's inquiry about Steinway hammer thread, I figured
to offer up my recent experience in voicing with a complete rebuild of a WNG
Baldwn SD-10 action (John Parham's response got me thinking) :)  I tried to
create a new thread but to no avail, the system did not allow....Sorry Paul.

This past month in Bozeman, MT, we (Randy Potter & group)  had an advanced
hand's on training seminar.  I'm the lucky guy who gets to lead the group of
willing participants (maybe not so willing after the week's end...LOL).
This year we tore into a Baldwin action, replacing the existing parts with
the new WNG parts.  First observations, I enjoy the consistency.  Realize
due to time constraints, I was not in a position to travel to Bozeman during
the summer months to analyize six ways to Sunday the various component
configurations for optimium results.  So, primarily samples of the existing
parts were sent off for duplication.  We had the hammers pre-hung, whippen
heels matched, both height and length, bore distance, etc.  There was quite
a bit of modification necessary for the whippen rail which is quite typical
for the WNG whips.  We measured, weighed and entered data in a spreadsheet
based on Stanwood's formulas (something I built way back with Vince Mrykalo
in the early 90's) and assessed action ratios, strike weight curve, and so
forth.

We took the ratio from 6.4 down to a 5.6.  Moved capstans, half puchings,
smoothed strike weight which resulted in a much smoother front weight...all
in all set it up for a 38 balance weight as that seemed to "feel" the best.
As an aside, having 7 people helping move capstans,  I can honestly say I've
never done that job faster in my life :) :) :)

Now to the voicing.  All those necessary steps for consistency were
accomplished before hand (string seating, leveling, mating, tuning, fine
regulation, etc.) then on to the actual "needling".  My observations are as
such:  The tonality responded evenly with each pass of needling methods.  I
generally pre-needle stock hammers anyway, so this was done before hand.
Once in the piano though, I was somewhat surprised at the overall
consistency, with chalk in hand, thinking there would be some "demons".  The
"flavor" of the tone had continuity, especially passing through the strut
breaks sections...something I was not prepared for.  Now, certainly having a
smooth strike weight (we added weight to individual hammers for smoothing)
helps tremendously for flowing tonality but this time seemed a bit
different.  I can only attribute this phenomenom to the composite
shanks...at least that is my perception.  We were able to acheive pianissimo
to fortissimo in short order without higher the zing of predominant higher
partials, bloom rather than attack then the tone falls off the planet, and
richness coupled with warmth.  As I continued to voice for  timbre, attack,
sustain or decay, it appeared much more consistent from note to note.  I
think of voicing like driving a Porche....zero to 60 in 2 seconds flat.....I
know, there really isn't a vernacular available but many of you know what I
mean.  The WNG shanks, in my humble opinion, because of the consistency and
"lack" of flex provides a much more consistent and predictable outcome.  I
also loved how they "burnt in" which is really cool.  Using the same method
as with wooden shanks, you can easily feel them nudge once the shank is
heated.  We only had about 5 or 6 to square but was quite fun.  I'll
probably think of more advantages when voicing with the WNG at a later
time...like 3:00 AM...LOL

Thanks for reading!

--
Dave Swartz, RPT