[pianotech] 4ths 5ths

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Tue Feb 1 23:35:27 MST 2011

On 02/02/2011 12:20 AM, Susan Kline wrote:
> Duaine, your ears seem awfully easily taxed. What particular damage
> does listening to a couple of perfect fourths do to them? If you can't
> stand to listen to musical intervals, why are you tuning pianos?

I'm a barbershop singer so I can stand to listen for "voice" chords.

But to sit there on a piano and "find" the notes by subjecting myself to
listening for - beats - which is damn near impossible on a lot of pianos
I deal with - is taxing on the ear.

Which, BTW, is probably why, I know a few techs that - r e f u s e - to
tune anything other than grands.

> With due regard for your mother's opinion, stubbornness without logic
> to back it up does not win debates.

What logic are you referring to ?

> As you perfectly well know, I made a numbered list of the places ETDs
> can fill, some of which ONLY they can fill, and expressed considerable
> respect for a number of people using them -- just not the ones who
> refuse to learn basic aural skills beforehand, or even afterward.
> (That is, respect must be earned.)

I'm talking about the kind of respect - that says - I have the right to
use and tune with ETD's - without - knowing the full mishmash of aural
tuning. And I have stated before, after every tuning I do some necessary
checks - octaves - final check of unisons, etc. And play a little
something that I can remember from 40 years ago.

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 11 years