[pianotech] Hammer Technique: was Q & A Roundtable

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Feb 2 09:25:49 MST 2011

Judging from this response, no I don't think you get it.  I didn't say that
it was possible to increase the tension in the speaking length without
increasing the tension in the first segment, or I certainly didn't mean to
say that.  I said that it was possible to get to the target tension in the
speaking length without increasing the tension in the first segment beyond
where it ultimately settles when things are at equilibrium.  Moreover, it's
not necessary (if one chooses) to bump the pitch up and over and back down.
You can also bump or flex the pin to push the pitch down and back up to see
where it will end up (of course, I realize you know that after 30 years).
In fact, I think it's arguably better to do it that way because that tends
to leave a slight bit more tension on the pin toward the speaking length and
mitigates the tendency for the pin to lean over time in response to the
constant pull of the string.  But again, this is just a discussion on
various approaches. We're adults (I think) and can choose.

I've been doing this for over 30 years too but I try not to let my
experience get in the way.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

I've been doing this very thing for over 30 years. Yes, I can pull a string
up without over pull, but I still have to bump it up over pitch and back
down to see where it ended up.

Do you understand? I get it, and I do this, and have for many years. Get it?

The basic physics dictate that it's not possible to increase tension in
the speaking length without increasing tension in the first string
segment, so the argument about less string breakage in the initial
speaking length movement is total nonsense, however you hold your tongue
when you turn/flex the pin. The system friction dictates that the first
string segment will always get bigger tension changes than the speaking
length because of the bearing point friction. That's inescapable, and
another thing altogether, unrelated to the first thing.

Understand?
Ron N