[pianotech] Hammer Technique: was Q & A Roundtable

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Feb 2 11:28:55 MST 2011

OK, this has gotten some convoluted and the point confused in all this back
and forth.  You are right, the segment rises above the equilibrium tension
level until friction is overcome and the speaking length follows at which
time the first segment tension then drops.  The point that I've been trying
to make is whether or not you need to *move* that segment beyond the point
at which it will ultimate come to rest at equilibrium, which you don't. It
would have been more correct for me to say that the physical movement
(rather than tension) of the segment beyond the point that will pull the
speaking length to its target pitch and leave the first segment at its final
equilibrium tension when the segments ultimately settle is unnecessary, and
that's what I tried to convey and demonstrate.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com