[pianotech] Hammer Technique: was Q & A Roundtable

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Feb 2 11:42:29 MST 2011

On 2/2/2011 12:28 PM, David Love wrote:
> OK, this has gotten some convoluted and the point confused in all this back
> and forth.

It's only gotten convoluted because you have tried so hard to make it
so, by avoiding my point.

>You are right, the segment rises above the equilibrium tension
> level until friction is overcome and the speaking length follows at which
> time the first segment tension then drops.

Yes, I know. And it's not me that's right. The physics demands it. I
just stuck with it.

>The point that I've been trying
> to make is whether or not you need to *move* that segment beyond the point
> at which it will ultimate come to rest at equilibrium, which you don't.

More nonsense. If you've raised the tension above equilibrium, you've
moved it.

>It
> would have been more correct for me to say that the physical movement
> (rather than tension) of the segment beyond the point that will pull the
> speaking length to its target pitch and leave the first segment at its final
> equilibrium tension when the segments ultimately settle is unnecessary, and
> that's what I tried to convey and demonstrate.

That's better, and an early point that I addressed already that I still
find it necessary to bump it up and down to verify where it is before
moving on. And no, that has nothing to do with ETD use one way or the other.

That's a wrap. I'm finished.
Ron N