[pianotech] Bridge pin locations help (image oops)

Roger@Integra.net rgable at integra.net
Thu Feb 3 22:22:09 MST 2011

Ron,
I would have a tendency to disagree with your analyst. First, if a false
beat was usually caused by a loose pin (which it frequently is) then there
isn't a rational reason why string seating cures a major portion of false
beats. What seems more rational is that the seating process beds the string
against the pin and bridge to create a uniform termination during the entire
circular motion of the string -- remember, strings rotate, not just move up
and down.  In the situation pictured, the rotational movement of the string
would indeed vary the termination length and/or create an "energy leak, or
skip" past the termination sometime during the rotational cycle. That
picture "screams" of an situation where the energy can't be uniformly
reflected back into the string during the entire rotational cycle.

Your mention of using a screwdriver to temporarily "stake" the pin for
testing is, in my opinion, suspect many times. When the false beat seems to
be reduced or disappear during this test, you will, with close examination,
find that you are not always hearing the effects of a more solid pin, but
only the result of a dampened bridge cap, giving you the impression that the
false beat has disappeared. This is not to say that the screwdriver test is
an invalid test, but is to say that you may find yourself barking up the
wrong tree.

Roger Gable