[pianotech] Octaves & Unions

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Fri Feb 4 00:31:16 MST 2011

On the octaves, I don't bother checking until the whole process is done.
On bichords, I tune the left string, then the right string to the left.
On trichords, I tune the middle string, then the right string to the
iddle, then the left to the middle. (It all depends on how I move the
utes, but always the middle string first)
Duaine

I don't think you understood my question. When you tune the unison, how do you check to make sure the string you start out with, (the middle string of a three string note), is in tune with the piano? It could be that the middle string has slipped, so when you tune the outside strings to the middle string, the whole note is out of tune with the rest of the piano.

The same thing with tuning the octave. After you have tuned the whole piano, how do you check to make sure the note you tune from, is in tune with the piano? Lets presume you want to tune C5 to C4. Before you tune C5 to C4, did you make sure C4 is in tune with the rest of the piano? If so, how do you do that? If you don't do that, how do you know that C4 and C5 are now in tune with the rest of the piano? To put it in barbershop terms,  even if the bass and the tenor are in tune with each other, if they are not in tune with the bartione and the lead, the chord is not going to sound right.

Wim

 This is meant for Duaine, but also other tuners who use an ETD
 exclusively.

 When you tune an octave and/or a unison, how do you know which string
 of the unison, or which note of the octave to tune? How do you know
 which one is right?

 Wim

 Sent from my HTC PURE™, a Windows® phone from AT&T
--
uaine Hechler
iano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
ahechler at att.net