[pianotech] Octaves & Unions

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Fri Feb 4 00:42:35 MST 2011

On 02/04/2011 01:31 AM, tnrwim at aol.com wrote:

>     On the octaves, I don't bother checking until the whole process is done.
>
>     On bichords, I tune the left string, then the right string to the left.
>
>     On trichords, I tune the middle string, then the right string to the
>     middle, then the left to the middle. (It all depends on how I move the
>     mutes, but always the middle string first)
>
>     Duaine
>
> I don't think you understood my question. When you tune the
> unison, how do you check to make sure the string you start out with,
> (the middle string of a three string note), is in tune with the piano?
> It could be that the middle string has slipped, so when you tune the
> outside strings to the middle string, the whole note is out of tune
> with the rest of the piano.
>
> The same thing with tuning the octave. After you have tuned the whole
> piano, how do you check to make sure the note you tune from, is in
> tune with the piano? Lets presume you want to tune C5 to C4. Before
> you tune C5 to C4, did you make sure C4 is in tune with the rest of
> the piano? If so, how do you do that? If you don't do that, how do you
> know that C4 and C5 are now in tune with the rest of the piano? To put
> it in barbershop terms,  even if the bass and the tenor are in tune
> with each other, if they are not in tune with the bartione and the
> lead, the chord is not going to sound right.
>
> Wim

All the above boils down to - trust - I trust Cybertuner to hear all the
partials (etc that have been listed before) and the forcasted overpull
to tune the note as where it should be, so when you are all done they
are in tune with the rest of the piano.

So bottom line, I - trust - Cybertuner to put the note where it should
be - and - by the testing done by other people, its pretty darn accurate.

As I said - trust - just like you trust your ear to tell you where to
put the note.

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 11 years