[pianotech] Thanks and further comments

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Feb 4 15:32:04 MST 2011

I use a similar procedure, but with a twist. Let's say the piano is
uniformly 100 cents flat and we plan two pitch raise passes to get
everything up to A 440. If you simply pull all the strings up to A 440
target pitch on the first pass, you will end up with the bass maybe 15
cents flat, the tenor 30 cents flat and the treble 45 cents flat - or
there 'bouts.  Now you are faced with raising the pitch the remaining
amount on an unevenly pitched string scale. Not impossible to do by
any means, but the larger the pitch raise, the more deviation from
uniform and the more guesswork involved in the overpull calculation
(i.e. if you pull the 30-cent flat tenor up to pitch plus the 25%
overpull, you'll be raising the treble up from about 50 or 60 cents
flat - that will tend to make the upper tenor go flatter than A 440.
Not that you can't compensate for it, but it sure involves a good bit
more guesstimating.

Sooooooo, what I do is pull the bass up to A 440 pitch (which will
fall to about 15 cents flat), pull the tenor up maybe 10 cents sharp
of A 440 (and it too will fall to about 15 cents flat) and pull the
treble up about 20 cents sharp, tapering overpull down in the last
octave of course (and it too should end up about 15 cents flat). Then
you should have all sections of the scale about 15 cents flat and you
can do a much more accurate second pitch raise pass (or at least I can).

Make sense? It seems to work well for me.

Terry Farrell