[pianotech] Octaves & Unions

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Fri Feb 4 20:28:46 MST 2011

On 2/4/2011 4:39 PM, Mr. Mac's wrote:
>> >  … This is where you have to trust your ear 100% - an ETD is worse than useless, it could get you in real trouble...
> In my opinion this comment is baseless. The only way an ETD
>     could get you into real trouble is lack of understanding.
Well, I don't have direct knowledge, but I could imagine how things
could come undone.

Recording studio, cool in morning, piano in tune with ETD. Lights, lots
of action, studio gets warmer, piano shifts just a cent or two ... and
some unisons get banged out enough that all three strings are different
places, though not by much.

ETD wants to put them exactly where they were in the early morning, but
two or three tracks recorded right around lunch time are at the shifted
pitch already.

Maybe someone who has done recordings can weight in? I get the feeling
Israel has done this?

Susan