[pianotech] New Quiz - Wood Threads

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Fri Feb 4 23:05:04 MST 2011

> From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett at earthlink.net>
> ....The answer I'm looking for is what was traditionally used in our industry for wood threads? K?
> Joe

Hey Joe,

I enjoyed your last challenge, it was a peach (er, pear) of a quiz.  As for this one, I was going to stay out, because the answer as you originally phrased it, could be "any one you want that will work."  Now that you are specifically referring it to our industry, as in threaded legs, I am not sure.  I can tell you this, though - any close-grained strong wood with interlocking grain will work.

I think that willow, with grain unbelievably interwoven, would make for very strong protuberances such as threads.  It is used as corner and end blocks and lining in stringed instruments of the violin family for this reason.

A few of the (mostly european) legs I have seen that screw on, however, looked more like boxwood.  I think I may have also seen one set that were beech.

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh