[pianotech] Re universal strings?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 4 23:40:54 MST 2011

Keith,
Please don't consider my comments as being negative towards Universal
Strings, I use a lot of Universals. <G> However, I had mixed success until
I started getting the cores closer. I even have a chart that shows the
sizes of what should be and  what it really is. Then, along came John
Rhodes. <G> I posed the question to him in regards to the difference
between the round "original" string core shape and the hexagonal shape of
the Universal core. He came up with, yet, another chart and formula to get
even closer. I have had very good success since then. The charts reside on
the inside of my Univerasal String case lid.<G> That has been my
experience. Although, different from yours, we both use them with good
results, for what they are and what they are used on.
Best Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I

sizes to choose from is the reason why techs have not had a great deal of
success with the universal strings. The core is THE criteria for
inharmonicity matches. Yes, we should strive to match the outer wrap, but a
few thousands one way or another, with a good core match, will not make for
a poor replacement. Go figger.<G>