[pianotech] Subject: understand the relationship of the heavenly bodies

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Sat Feb 5 11:56:16 MST 2011

Although I read everything I can on the topic of aural tuning I find that with a quality ETD understanding the math and physics, as you say, is not as important as it would be for the strictly aural tuner. Just as a modern automobile owner is able to drive from point A to point B without understanding the mechanical functioning of the engine of his car, I would be able to tune a piano using my Verituner even if I wasn't interested in the underlying principals of tuning.

Chuck

Understanding the mechanical functions of an engine is not important when driving from point A to point B, any more than knowing how an action works to know when a piano is out of tune. If you want to get from point A to point B, you need to know how to get there using a map or a GPS. Using a GPS will be fine, as long as there are no construction sites or accidents on the road you're traveling. But when there is an accident, or the GPS quits on you, or, what has happened on a number of occasions, for some reason the directions don't make sense, you had better know how to read a map, or have the ability to figure out an alternate route.

That is how I compare using an ETD with tuning aurally. As long as the ETD gives you what you want, everything is fine. But when there's an "accident", you need to be able to rely on the "map", or your ability to find an alternate route.

But it is encouraging to read that you are learning to tune aurally, so that you are able to use that map.

Wim