[pianotech] Tinnitus; was: understand the relationship of the heavenl bodies

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sat Feb 5 11:04:11 MST 2011

On 2/5/2011 3:55 AM, Chuck Behm wrote:
> (Years of working with woodworking machines without earplugs [until
> recently] has taken its toll. The constant ringing I hear makes it
> really hard to focus on beats any more elusive than unisons.)

Here is an article mentioning the latest studies on tinnitus, Chuck. It
is possible that in the future, tinnitus might not be as incurable as it
is now. You're not the first excellent woodworker and piano tech to get
caught this way. I think it's probably more the rule than the exception.

Susan

P.S. I recently sent this to the PTG Hearing List

http://www.wellnessresources.com/health/articles/new_insights_on_tinnitus/

  New Insights on Tinnitus

***Thursday, February 03, 2011 * - Byron Richards, CCN

Several studies published this month offer a new understanding and hope
to those suffering from the ringing in the ears known as tinnitus. This
condition affects up to 40 million Americans, including 10% of senior
citizens and 40% of military veterans. While tinnitus has been
associated with previous injury to the hearing apparatus, that appears
to be only part of the problem. The source of the problem for many may
lie within nerves, where improvement is possible.

In the first study
<http://www.wellnessresources.com/studies/tinnitus_is_associated_with_disturbed_nerve_function>
researchers used state-of-the-art imaging technology to evaluate the
auditory system and subconscious brains of individuals with tinnitus.
As expected, moderate hyperactivity was present in the auditory
structures, as these structures struggled to make proper connections.
However, far more hyperactivity was present in a key sensory processing
region of the subconscious brain (nucleus accumbens).

The scientists explain that when hearing of certain frequencies is lost
due to loud noise exposure, an accident, or aging then the subconscious
brain generates sound in an attempt to fill the void.  Unfortunately
that compensatory sound turns out to be the unpleasant ringing called
tinnitus. In other words, it is the failed effort of the brain to
correct the loss of hearing that is actually causing the problem.
Interestingly, the part of the brain involved, is processing many types
of input linked to human behavior, emotions, and multiple senses. This
means that any overload in life may flare up the weakness in the
auditory system via the subconscious brain.

In a second study
<http://www.wellnessresources.com/studies/brain_training_may_improve_tinnitis>
researchers used noise-exposed rats to create tinnitus. Next they
exposed the rats to vagus nerve activation paired with sounds of varying
frequency.  This treatment eliminated the tinnitus in the animals. Think
of this as giving the sensory nerve input to the brain a relaxing
massage along with sound, which must have calmed the hyperactive aspects
described in the first study above.  The researchers believed their
nerve workout boosted plasticity in the nervous system. This allowed the
nerves to get over the struggle to make connections, and therefore not
generate the noise of tinnitus.

The vagus nerve is involved with relaxing nerve activity
(parasympathetic activity) of most major organs, especially with
breathing and digestive function. It is highly involved with translating
sensory input from around the body back to the brain. This is further
evidence that stressful input, including pain and inflammation anywhere
in the body, is likely to "heat up" these nerve signals and at some
point this sum total of stress aggravates the weak spot of previous
auditory injury to the point wherein tinnitus manifests.

This information has immense clinical application potential. I should
comment that the vagus nerve research used a medical implant that
generated electrical stimulation of the vagus nerve, a device currently
approved for resistant epilepsy and some forms of depression. The device
causes sleep apnea in humans, so it is unlikely it will gain wide
approval.  I consider it highly problematic and not the best way to
address the problem.

I should also point out that I have had fairly good success helping
individuals improve tinnitus over the years. I have frequently employed
arabinogalactan to help move lymph stagnation that backs pressure up on
the hearing mechanisms within the ear. Interestingly, that nutrient, by
relieving pressure next to the brain stem is also likely to turn off
inflammatory signals entering the subconscious brain. I have also used
grape seed extract and R-alpha lipoic acid to help improve circulation
to the ear. Once again, both of these nutrients have nerve-related
anti-inflammatory properties. I've had various working theories as to
why tinnitus occurs, and have seen some improvement for some (not all)
following basic nutrient use. However, this new understanding of
tinnitus opens up many new practical application that are likely to be
of benefit.

First of all we know that we can train better nerve input by improving
the health of the sensory signals going to the nerves. In the case of
the vagus nerve this means we can improve input by enhancing breathing,
general oxygenation, digestive function, and by better management of
stress and inflammation.

On a physical basis this means better posture for better breathing and
aerobic exercise -- along with music input to help train the nerves.
Exercise should be relaxing and oxygenating.  Music should be an
enjoyable type to the individual at an appropriate volume.

Improving any co-existing digestive problems would be a top priority as
would reduction of stress and inflammation of any type.

There are now many nutrients that could be employed along with these
exercise and life strategies to help promote nerve plasticity, offset
the demands of stress, and help clean up injured nerve cells.

It appears that tinnitus is a problem of general brain aging or
significant brain inflammation, manifesting in individuals who have
previous audio-related injury as a weak spot. The good news is that
there are a lot of things that can be done to help this problem now that
we better understand what it is.