[pianotech] re. Universal Strings

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 5 13:49:37 MST 2011

Keith said:

"Joe,

Well, I am gratified that you are not a naysayer.

I still don't see how you can approximate measuring
round core against hexagonal core (flat side vs edges).
I use a digital caliper for measuring outer diameter
of all music wire and bass strings.

Recent example this January:
I replaced both strings on a bi-chord (A2, .074, Wurlitzer Grand) last month
with Universal strings. Measured only the outer. Turned out excellent.
Unless one looked closely, one could never tell by appearance,
nor could one tell by sound. Blended in great.

I do agree that there are times when not all replacements
with Universal strings match up to desired results.
That's just part of the biz.
If you're willing to share, I would be interested
in viewing this chart and formula you have
for educational purposes at the minimum.

Sincerely,"

Keith,
The Universal String Chart, that I made, is on my other computer, which is defunct at the moment. So, not able to download that. However, if you contact John Rhodes, I'm sure he'll be alble to send you the sheet with the formula and instructions regarding cross - referencing between round and hex core wire. That's the best I can do until I can afford to get a new Desk Top 'puter and download all of the olde 'puter files on to it.
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police