[pianotech] Polyester Stripper???

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 5 14:43:34 MST 2011

Terry the Farrell said:
"Joe, please explain why you would want to remove the finish. The only
reason I can imagine is that most of it is not adhering to the wood
underneath. But if that is not the case, then why not just fill and
sand whatever you have and then paint it?"

Terry.
The "piano" in question, has/had been, previously, RE-finished with Polyester. At some time in it's history, (I suspect), the piano was in an adverse environment, (I suspect a fire). The "finish" is very bad on one end and in other areas, (scattered). At the time of the "Re-finish", the morjit that did it, couldn't figure out how to get the action out of the case, so he, (very sloppily), masked and shot! In so doing, he got polyester on keys/ keypins, action parts/ action frame, pedal rods...ad nauseum. !!!
I really don't give much of a rip about the looks of this beast, but I would like to get things up to snuff inside. BTW, it is tuneable and has a nice tone w/pristine ivory keys! From a PIANO standpoint it's a go, with the exception of this damned POLY! Hence my question. Also, I am not a refinisher! I am allergic to Nitrocellulose Lacquer, except in small doses. Not my ballywick! However, if I can get that crap off of selected areas, I'll be a very happy camper.<G>
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police