[pianotech] Carbon Fiber Lever (was Hammer Technique: was Q &ARoundtable) off list

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Sun Feb 6 10:54:24 MST 2011

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kurt Baxter
  To: pianotech at ptg.org
  Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2011 12:37 PM
  Subject: Re: [pianotech] Carbon Fiber Lever (was Hammer Technique: was Q &ARoundtable)

   Comments interspersed below
  T.D.

  Tom:

  Your points about light weight (as of value apart from any stiffness attributes) and easily interchangeable heads are valid. Not understanding the engineering behind it, I assume the CF tube alone must make some significant stiffness gain, and how much is then lost due to the threaded joint is clearly a question wanting for data, not opinion, mine or anyone else's.

  Agreed .

  For some, the combined convenience and economy of being able to use their current head/tip collection might outweigh any loss in stiffness over a integrated type head like the Fujan.

  I see both your CF hammer (with it's standard interchangeable heads and rubberized grip) and the CF Faulk hammer (basically a CF-enhanced version of the same excellent tool he has been making for years) to be different enough in practical and preference-based design features as to occupy their own sub-niches in a niche market.

   That is my take.

  I am curious how Steve Fujan feels about the likes of:

   ( http://cgi.ebay.com/CARBON-FIBER-PIANO-TUNING-HAMMER-LEVER-SAVE-50-/220731445721?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33649e91d9#ht_1599wt_1026 )

  And:  http://www.tuningpindriver.com/

  Isn't there a case for patent infringement here?

  The auction above is presented by an individual who had a lever more similar to mine a few weeks ago.
  I can't address the other two questions
  Thanks for the post,
   Tom Driscoll

  -kurt