[pianotech] Joshua Bell - Piano Prep

Roger@Integra.net rgable at integra.net
Sun Feb 6 11:20:16 MST 2011

Terry,
Your question about whether the piano was purposely voiced for the artist.
If it is the house piano, then most likely not. I've been renting Steinways
(Hamburg) in this area (Seattle) for performance for many years and have
been asked in advance if the piano can be "adjusted" to fit the performance.
No way! Those who rent performance pianos could not possibly "adjust" the
tone to suit every musician coming through town; you'd be replacing hammers
every year. Ryan, I read Terry's post as a criticism of the piano not the
technician. As for the false beats, I never purchased NY Steinways for my
rental fleet, for that and other reasons. As for what Ron N. said in a
top of the false beat situation better with the Hamburg pianos than the New
York. I've tuned NY Steinway almost out of the box that had so many false
beats that it was impossible to clear them out.
Roger Gable