[pianotech] Joshua Bell - Piano Prep

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Feb 6 11:20:34 MST 2011

Actually, the ONLY reason I mentioned the piano technician's name was
to make the point that his skills are not in any way in question by
me. That's why I went on about how skilled and experienced he is, how
he is respected and chosen by all the major orchestras in the area,
etc., etc.  I was trying to say that I know he is as good as they get
and that the piano sounded dull and lifeless had to be because of wax
in my ears, bad acoustics, or a decision made by whomever makes those
sorts of decisions (maybe Bell himself) to purposely make the piano
sound like that so as to not overpower the violin.

Or is your point Ryan, that even though I had 99% favorable statements
about the piano tech's skills, that just by mere mention of his name
(identifying him as the tech of record for the evening) in the same
post about my perception of a poor sounding piano, I disparaged him.

Is that it? If so, I think you may have a point. I could have said
everything I said in the post and simply left his name out. I may have
made a mistake in that way. If I did, my apologies to "the tech" and
anyone else.

Hmmmmm.......

Oh crap. And I just looked at the subject line of my post. "Joshua
Bell - Piano Prep". If I am correct with my above speculation, okay, I
see the connection and perhaps the assumption that I was trying to tie
the tech's work in with what I heard. I wasn't at all, but okay, I see
how it could look that way.

And FWIW, if you read my post carefully, I was not asking about
technical aspects of concert prep at all - I was asking about
decisions (not any made by the tech) about concert prep direction and
I was asking about concert pianos with numerous false beats (again,
piano defects, not tech performance).

Gotta go put some pork in the smoker.................  maybe it'll
help if I put my brain in there for a while.

Terry Farrell