[pianotech] Carbon Fiber Lever (was Hammer Technique: was Q & ARoundtable)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Feb 6 21:48:31 MST 2011

On 2/6/2011 10:31 PM, Kurt Baxter wrote:

>     I suspect that if the joint difference was even proportionally on
>     the radar after the huge stiffness increase of the large tubing
>     handle, it would be charted on the web page. If it was numerically
>     significant, who'd let it slide past the marketing?
>

> Hmm, I see your point. There is this from the website:
>
>     /"A word of caution. Watch out for imitations. If you see a lever
>     claiming the advantages of extreme stiffness provided by carbon
>     fiber, look at the attachment of the lever to the head.  Any lever
>     that still uses the traditional head with small diameter threads
>     will not provide the performance of the FUJAN."/
>

> The supporting data is not offered, but I would suspect it exists.

Yes, I'm absolutely sure it does exist. I'm also reasonably sure that if
the difference were anywhere near dramatic, or even significant, those
numbers would have been posted. If they were significant, I most
certainly would have posted them in a similar situation. Wouldn't you?

> I think the most illuminating test would be between a Fujan and
> a Gluzman of the same size/angle, as the Gluzman appears to BE the Fujan
> with a traditional head. However, unless someone owns both, that seems
> like a potentially... awkward scientific collaboration. <g>

Near infinite variations of just this sort of thing is what typically
prevents impartial comparative evaluations of pretty much everything,
doesn't it?

> Thanks for your comments,
>
> -kurt

Dismissed?