[pianotech] Exploding Piano

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Mon Feb 7 19:09:35 MST 2011

James

Repairing the pin block separation is the easy part. John Ross gave you a good explination on how to do this. But before I do the repair, I would inspect the plate very closely. From the description you gave of the action being hard to take out, and the pitch dropping like it did, it sounds like the plate cracked. If that is indeed the case, there is nothing you can do, nor was there anything you did that caused it. The piano is a total loss.

I had this happen on a Hamilton many years ago. The piano was in a school, and the music teacher complained that the piano would not stay in tune very long. When I got to it, not only was it about 25 cents low, but the tuning was all over the place. When I got done with the tuning, I used the damper pedal while I was playing, and I heard a click. Upon close insepction, the click was a couple of the damper levers hitting the plate. I thought for a moment, and said to myself. "There are only two reason why the dampers would be hitting the plate, either the action is closer to the plate, or the plate is closer to the action". Sure enough, I looked, and there was a crack in the middle of the plate, right behind the keybed. I immediately went to the school office, and told them that the piano needed to be moved out of the building ASAP, because it was about to explode, and that if there were any children near that piano, they could get seriosly hurt. Now, as most of you probably know, in normal school situations, to get something done usually takes two or three weeks. The piano was gone in less than an hour.

Wim