[pianotech] Exploding Piano

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 7 20:43:08 MST 2011

Hi Jim,

I dealt with a Baldwin Hamilton that had a broken plate. The complaint from the teacher was that the dampers didn't work well--and maybe there were other action complaints--it was a long time ago. I had a look. Eventually I saw that the strut between the tenor and treble sections was broken. I guess the action (which I did not remove) was actually keeping the plate from busting out further or that's as far as it was going to break--anyway the plate was up against the action bracket (I think). Whatever the case, there was nothing for me to do.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois