[pianotech] Exploding Piano

John Ross jrpiano at eastlink.ca
Mon Feb 7 23:36:24 MST 2011

Indicators of this problem as I have found, are, in no particular order.
Large drop in pitch.
Damper travel reduced.
Visual indicator of edge of plate being uneven, when viewed in relation to top edge of lid.
I will check visually for a space at the pinblock, by removing anything that covers my view, such as felt, or glued or screwed top of piano.
Sometimes I will lower the pitch, sometimes not, depending on the space of the separation.
Time involved for the repair is say an hour to bolt and glue.
Then a few tunings, depends on was pitch lowered, and how far from standard it is. Same amount of time as pitch raising would require.
2 1/2 to 4 hours time is normal. With a followup tuning in 2-3 weeks
I carry 4X 8" C clamps and assorted bolts washers and nuts with me in my vehicle.
John Ross
Windsor,
Nova Scotia