[pianotech] Exploding Piano

James Sasso jwsasso at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 20:25:48 MST 2011

John;
Thank you for your reply; Your information is accurate and helpful. My
question was more of asking for advice on the psychological and business
side of the matter and a professional assessment of what, if anything, I did
wrong and what I could do to improve customer relationship. I'll elaborate a
bit on a few details. I pitch raised the piano a half step AFTER adjusting
for gained motion. So the plate was already separated in the center of the
piano and the action was the only thing holding the plate back from the
latter separation.  After I told the customer what happened to the piano, I
said, "This is terrible!" It was bad too be sure, but as I said in my post,
I've repaired at least 6 of these so the statement wasn't about the repair
as much as the timing. After all my labor the piano was essentially
unplayable for that evening's get together. Judging by the posts in the 2004
Pianotech archives I should have estimated 3 hours to repair; instead I
estimated 6. The estimation was verbal. All of the repair procedures you
mentioned, I had mentioned both at the scene of the "explosion" and later on
a phone estimate. Thanks again.
Jim