[pianotech] Steinway Technician

Boaz Kirschenbaum pianotuner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 00:05:40 MST 2011

To clarify:

A Factory Trained Steinway Technician is a technician who has completed
training at the New York factory.

Having been through the Hamburg training, Hartweg Kalb told us that we
should not advertise with the word Certified. They think this could lead to
customer confusion. He also felt it could make customers
think there is some kind of guarantee or warranty implied when they use a
non-Steinway employee, even if in fact that person is a trained Steinway
technician.

My advice is only use the "factory trained" part if you can prove it.

As a funny aside..... I once met a tuner who said he was a Steinway
technician and once worked there. He seemed a bit suspicious. I made a few
inquiries later and it turned out he once took the factory tour, and had
drinks with someone who used to work at the NY factory!

In the end it comes down to training. If you do not know how to work on
Steinways, ask someone who does and don't pretend. There is no shame in that
although I know some tuners have trouble swallowing their pride at times.
There is room for all of us to work together solving these
problems...whether we are factory trained or not.

--
*Boaz Kirschenbaum, RPT*  |  Concert Piano Tuner
*Cherry Tree Piano*