[pianotech] Steinway technical and reference guide

The Davis Family (Mark, Janine, William, Stephen & Matthew) pianofortetechnology at saol.com
Tue Feb 8 13:15:50 MST 2011

Hello Boaz

Thank you for your response.

For what it's worth, email or fax works better than phone, in my experience.

Also, I think the CDROM costs quite a bit. Have you emailed Steinway for a
Price List?

No, I have not emailed Steinway yet, but I will.  Do you know what the CDROM
consists of?  For instance the actual contents?  Does it cover restoration
work of Steinways, concert work etc.

What is involved in order to attend a NY and Hamburg Steinway course.  Is
one invited or does one apply?

This is the Steinway dealer in South Africa's response to me after I
requested Steinway service manuals and and inquired about training courses
in Hamburg, "Dear mr. davis, This course is open to applicants who have been
proposed by ourselves, as the accredited Steinway & Sons partners in
Southern Africa.   We may only propose candidates to whose character and
professional conduct we can attest without reservation.  However, the final
acceptance of the candidate for a course is at the sole discretion of
Steinway & Sons.  This is necessary in order to ensure that our clients'
instruments receive the highest standards of technical support according to
Steinway & Sons procedures to ensure their performance to the standards for
which they have been designed.  As we are not acquainted with you, we are,
regrettably,  unable to propose you for a course at this time.   All our
approved technicians have received training at Steinway and are in the
employ of Mr._______________, in Cape Town, whose company handles all of our
work exclusively.  Our suggestion is that you approach this gentleman to
ascertain the possibility of an alliance.  He can be contacted

Is this the normal procedure of Steinway?  Or is there a different approach?

Thank you,

Mark