[pianotech] CA pinblock with tight bushings?

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Mon Feb 14 11:21:08 MST 2011

 >>Anyone out there had similar experience and tried drilling down through
the bushing?

No, but we expect a detailed lab report with before and after torque
readings. A spread sheet analysis would be fine. :-)

I've found that turning the pin back and forth about 45 degrees at a time
while applying the CA aids in allowing it to wick a little deeper. Often
there are fewer than a dozen really problem pins this needs to be done to,
the rest respond adequately without it.

The other thing you can do is flip the piano and apply CA to the bottom of
the tuning pin holes. Remove the action, lid, lid hinges from the rim, and
flip it upside down. It is a pretty effective treatment as the hole provides
a well you can put quite a bit of glue in to let it soak deeply. Be sure to
spritz everything with some accelerator before setting it upright to keep
any uncured glue from running out of the holes into places you don't want
it. I've heard that can happen...

Dean