[pianotech] CA pinblock with tight bushings

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at frontier.com
Mon Feb 14 19:39:17 MST 2011

On 2/14/2011 6:10 PM, Susan Kline wrote:

> If I might suggest something?
>
> Rarely are all 228 tuning pins too loose.
150 at least.

> Why not drill and CA glue only the areas which are bad? It's not like
> no one
> would ever be able to do some of the others later, should they need
> it. Nor
> does the job require a whole lot of gear. One drill with bit, an
> extension
> cord, and one small bottle of CA glue ...
and a vacuum for the wood chips, and removing / protecting the action ...

> Why not do it piecemeal? Are you dedicated to the idea of always doing
> THE WHOLE THING because of love of CA fumes? You can't reach the proper
> concentration for pickling your liver treating only the bad areas of
> the block?
> Or maybe you just like to spend hours and hours on a job like this?
Good grief!  I guess there's more of the back story that you need to
know here.  This is  a performance piano, it gets tuned frequently, but
not by me.  Their regular tuner is a skilled "full service" technician
who chooses not to get involved in CA juicing, and calls me instead.  I
don't have the luxury of knowing ahead of time which pins are too loose,
and which ones are acceptable.  So I do them all.  My respirator
prevents liver pickling.  I find that setting up, and cleaning up
afterward take about half the total time, so juicing fewer pins wouldn't
reduce my time very much.

I've read your previous posts about piecemeal treating during tuning, a
couple of drops so the action doesn't have to be removed.  It's been
effective for me on many pianos, and I happily give you credit, and
thanks, for sharing.  But it doesn't work for us in this situation.
EMDV (everyone's mileage does vary)

Mike